Monday, March 3, 2008

happy birthday, mom


My mom is the kind of woman you'd want as your best friend, she's a free spirit, a lover of life, travel, yoga and family. Once, when I was about 13, I was at a friend's house for dinner, her mom went around the table and told each of her 3 daughters what she thought they should be when they grew up ("I think you'd make a wonderful nurse", etc.., she said). I went home that night and asked my mom what she thought I should be and her only answer was "happy". I was so frustrated, I stormed out (I was thirTEEN, keep that in mind), all I wanted was a literal answer. I came back to ask again, this time giving examples (a fashion designer? ballerina? photographer?), but still her answer remained, "happy". I think about this all the time for some reason now, about how simple that word is but how it's also the most important, really. Thank you, mom, for the life lessons that have brought me to where I am now, I love you.

5 comments:

Jacinda said...

Such a sweet birthday message for mom and a de-luscious little cupcake to boot!
I've been enjoying the blog Amber. It's a new favorite!

Anonymous said...

That about sums up Aunt Em! I told Nancy how much I wished my mother in law could be likeher- that didn't happen but at least we still have her as the best aunt!

Unknown said...

now that my eyes have dried, thank you for your words so dear and for making my birthday one of the best! awakening to the soft voice of 'happy birthday nana' & spending a delightful day with my favorite little person... precious. gathering with family... lovefest. having you & dave take care of dinner... a pleasure. suprising me with a cruiser... stoken. creating the ruby summer book for me... fabulous. being the most that you are to me... priceless. I L O V E YOU

Gjelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gjelly said...

Very sweet. Your mother and I share a birthday. And my name is Emily. :-)